Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Insanity & Confusion - 1/12/10

Im terrified for you my dear, and I wish you only knew <--To Corey :/


So sexism, is defined in many ways by many people. Dictionary.com officially says its:

1. Attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles.
2. Discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex, as in restricted job opportunities; esp., such discrimination directed against women."

I believe this is definitely what I would call "sexism". Now recently I was at one of my best friend's birthday party and she invited a few of us to stay the night. We had all kinds of opinions/ages/stereotypes in that room. Darcy and Haley are Seniors. Darcy is one of those scene girls, with the piercings and a thing for skinnies and band tees. Haley is bright and cheerful, but also into the skinnies and band tees. Bradi is definitely strong on her beliefs, artistic, a perfectionist, and not shy with her opinions. And Ashton is a Junior and he is gay.

Just as our personalities are varied, so were our opinions. Darcy wants nothing more than to go and serve her husband after he works all day long. And I think that started the long lasting debate of "at what point is it 'sexist'?". Darcy and Ashton kinda talked it out and saw it as, the guy deserved it and its her showing her appreciation for bringing in money. I kinda saw it as, if thats what you WANT to do, then thats fine. But once its a command, THEN its sexism. Bradi thinks that men are superior to women, so in the since, it is a role.

All in all, I believe that when its an option, and its something you want to do, and you've been given other options but you choose that one, then its not sexist. But as soon as you are told that women are made to be in the kitchen, or are inferior to men, THAT in my mind is sexist.

-----------------------------------------------------------
To teach abstinence or not to teach abstinence? That is the question (for tomorrow!)
-----------------------------------------------------------

Life Updates -

So Corey is talking about running away, he needs help, hes not getting it fast enough for himself, and this is ALL a blur. I really want to talk to his parents about this, and try to see their side in all of this. His moods are not making ANYONE happy. This is where the religion is too much for me. His parents are trying to get him to turn to God for a cure to his problems. Its one thing to pray for help, but another to rely solely on an invisible higher being to save you. He needs real medical attention, and I couldnt be anymore worried for him :/

Reading Corner!

Alright, so I have really gotten into the books about relationship abuse. And Im not exactly sure what triggered the sudden intrigue, but its there. Definitely there. Ive read Things Change by Patrick Jones and Dreamland by Sarah Dessen. Both EXTREMELY well written books on relationship abuse. Extremely well written. The ending of Things Change is just...amazing. And the way the story is in Johanna's view is great because we get the victims side. But then we also get Pauls side, so we see what the abuser is thinking as he writes to his dead father. Dreamland was my favorite of the two. Caitlins sister runs away on her birthday, and she uses this opportunity to get out of her sisters shadow. And it goes horribly wrong. I definitely suggest both books though. No doubt that they'll have an impact on you ;)

----------------------------------------------
Tomorrow I'll talk about Boys That Bite =F
----------------------------------------------


For the 3rd section we'll just have a pretty picture (:



The stairs to my escape ^ I hope I find them soon :/

THATS ALL FOLKS XD

Yours Truly,
Ry (:

P.S. - Comments and reviews and topics are awesome!
P.P.S. - Keep suggesting songs!
P.P.P.S. - Suggest good lyrics/poems/picture for my 3rd section
P.P.P.P.S. - I want new books to read, give me titles?
P.P.P.P.P.S. - Invite others to read this blog!

0 comments: